No, we don’t mean lose 10 pounds.
We mean, for you business owners and CEOs/Presidents out there, what are you going to resolve to do this year, and it doesn’t all have to do with more sales. Here are some ideas that we’ve put out to our clients:
- Improve your work/life/family balance. We do this one every year, and some year we might get it right. But we, as entrepreneurs, don’t really know what ‘right’ is; for us, it means saying ‘no’ to some opportunities that present themselves. Hug your wife/spouse/significant other and your kids more. Play with your dog or cat.
- Get better at personnel selection: we had a bunch of people taking our personnel selection course in the American School of Entrepreneurship in December; maybe they were getting ready to the new year (this year we’re putting in a tracker feature so we can tell more about what courses they took.)
- Develop a new product or service, add a new location or acquire one of your competitors. In our Solutions Forum practice, a lot of that went on in 2016. Develop your employees that look promising. Prune out the ones that are stagnant, or at least counsel them about their stagnation.
- Be a friend to someone struggling to get our of a senior position with a major corporation. Encourage them to start a business, coach them on what they really want to do when they grow up.
- Don’t get irritated at clients/customers who might otherwise be irritating. Just because they don’t see the way and the light, doesn’t make them bad people.