Entrepreneur published this article some months ago, and it languished on my pile of things to comment on, but better late than never:
- Do (or have done before) what you’re asking others to do;
- Trust and empower your employees.
- Authentic, vulnerable, or at least honest; adaptable;
- Have a compelling purpose and be accountable for the results of the individual and the team;
- Admit when you’re wrong;
- Serve your way to the top;
- Push your followers; rather than pulling them;
- Strong opinions loosely held;
- Ask more questions and listen longer;
- Build a culture with a purpose and empathy.
OK, how many of these are you doing? 90%: you’re great. 80% you’re ok. 70%, be nice to the investors/stockholders. Less? Go look for another job.