Best Business Books

Sometime back, the Wall Street Journal put out its list of the best business books, which we thought we’d repeat (along with a shameless plug for two of our companies), so you’d have it. Here’s the list:

1. The E-Myth, by Michael Gerber. This book has been in print a long time, and is a good tome on how to overcome fear in starting your business, but we have a free entrepreneurial questionnnare on our site (, which will  help you determine if you’re really right for entrepreneurship. And, a book summary is available on this book if you’re a subscriber to the CEO Reading Room at

2. Who: The A Method for Hiring. One of the listed authors is Geoff Smart,who must be Brad Smart’s brother, because the book emulates Brad Smart’s hiring method, that A people will hire A’s, Bs will hire Bs, and so forth. What’s not mentioned is how a A or B is determined: we at ASE do it by profiling the traits that successful job candidates have, and hiring people that have the same traits.

3. Start with Why: Simon Sinek. Probably an excellent book, but Sinek’s short TED video is available all over the internet, and basically tells you everything you need to know about ‘why’ you’re in business.  Sinek might well have some good insights about hiring in his book, however. They’ve gotta believe in the ‘why’ if they’re gonna work for you.

4. The Art of the Start: Guy Kawasaki. Kawasaki is very well known, and it’s probably a good book, but we maintain there’s only about 20% art involving in starting….the other 80% can be done by using our forumlae in our idea validation courses, cash flow courses and the implementation courses. Now this is about $87 in all, which is more that Guy’s book, but we might have higher success rates.

5. Little Bets: Peter Sims. The author makes a valid point, in that don’t wait around for a homerun idea….get out there and do even a little idea. If you look at the history of many entrepreneurs, many of them started other companies that may have had small ideas, but they worked, they got sold, and it’s on to the next idea. Bill Gates and Paul Allen started designing traffic software.

6. Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: Verne Harnish. Good book, mostly about developing disciplined habits, like John D. Rockefeller, so one stays on track. Harnish is also a founder of one of the national CEO consulting firms, so he’s got credibility.

7. Street Smarts: An All Purpose Tool Kit for Entrepreneurs: Norm Brodsky and Bo Burlingame. Brodsky is a serial, successful entrepreneur, and Burlingame is a well known business writer, so the book should be good.

This entry was posted in Marketing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Best Business Books

  1. extreme burn says:

    I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your
    weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one nowadays.

  2. It is especially rewarding to see you continuing to practice what you preach in the simple and unequivocal way. Many thanks on your willingness to spend your time in the lab testing what really works and after that freely sharing the results with all the rest of us.

  3. I have never come across such great online content as you have written on this site. I’m intrigued by many of your points and agree with a lot of them. Keep up the good work.

  4. Howdy! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the fantastic work!

  5. Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!

  6. Really like how you teach the simple way to use RSS. Having said that with so many blogs and so much subject material, the list within your unread’ RSS feeds can be depressing when you see how far you are falling ehind in your reading.
    Julia Hayes recently posted..Serviced Office Space Perth

    • says:

      We’re not teaching how to use RSS….to my knowledge. We fixed a minor problem with one course on RSS this afternoon, but that’s it. Go see your friendly webmaster.

  7. Terrific work! This is the type of info that should be shared around the internet. Shame on Google for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my site . Thanks =)

  8. I visited a lot of website but I conceive this one has got something special in it. “One must be a wise reader to quote wisely and well.” by Amos Bronson Alcott.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

seven + 5 =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.